Refreshing Ramadan Treat: Fruit Chaat
The picture may not do it justice, but this chaat will be cleared up in seconds- guaranteed! This is especially true if you have ravenous husbands. Also, some of the ingredients mentioned below are not pictured in today’s preparation, but rest assured that any variety of fresh and sweet fruits will be the perfect medley for this treat.
Ingredients (all fresh- avoid canned!)
2 apples (Fuji or similarly sweet and firm variety) cubed
1 firm banana sliced
12 grapes halved
6 strawberries quartered*** (not pictured)
1 large mango peeled & cubed*** (not pictured)
1/2 a cantaloupe peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons pineapple chunks (can also use cookie cutters to make it look cute!)
1/4 teaspoon kaali namak (black salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
Juice of 1/2 lemon (~1 teaspoon)
1-2 sprigs of mint (optional for garnishing- not pictured)
1. Toss all the chopped fruits in a fun bowl. Place the sliced bananas at the bottom of the bowl.
2. Pour the 1/3 cup of orange juice into the bowl
3. Add the spices, lemon juice, sugar and black salt.
4. Adjust seasonings to personal taste. Add diced green chili pepper if you like it spicy!
5. Serve chilled by refrigerating for at least 10 minutes.
Feel free to garnish with sprigs of mint. If you feel extra fancy, serve the chaat in tropical-inspired coconut shells. Hope the last few days of Ramadan are going well for those observing this holy month! If you try this recipe, please comment below and how it turns out.More photos